The Lake Park Area Historical Society grew out of the 1990 Lake Park Centennial and was chartered in early 1991. The society was formed for the purpose of preserving and promoting the history of the area so that it could be used as an enrichment instrument for present and future generations. The society presently has 140 plus memberships. The building housing the museum was built in 1890. It was the old Ewell Brown Merchandise Store. This building was donated to the Lake Park Area Historical Society in 1994 by Leslie Taylor Brown. The Society restored the building to its original state and is now listed on the National Register of Historic places.
Several Displays Include:
- Early Historical Pictures of Lake Park
- Old Furniture, Quilts, and Textiles
- Old Books and Research Materials
- Farming Implements
- Early Medical Tools
- A selection of original items from the General Store
The Historical Society’s major fund raising event is the annual Lake Park Christmas Tour. The Tour takes place the second weekend in December and includes local businesses and residences.
The Lake Park Historical Society may be contacted at 229-559-7959 (email@example.com) or 229-559-5771 or 229-559-7470 and is open on the first and third Saturday of each month from 10am until 1pm or by appointment.